Friday, July 29, 2011

Back to the Hospital






So, my little Hallie had to be readmitted to the Intensive care unit for some photo therapy. She was not nursing, and not having any dirty diapers which made her bili levels sky rocket. So we had to go back to the hospital and stay for 2 days. It was truly an awful day when we went. We had a weight check and then the lab work and then we had to go to the lactation place to get some help. I never imagined we would have problems nursing, after all she is my 4th. But that doesn't matter. Michael also called this great day and told me his academy president was not going to let him fly home to visit. He was planning on coming Friday, but then he couldn't. The lactation lady told me that Hallie was tongue tied and needed the connecting skin under her tongue cut. GREAT! Then the doctor told me she had lost too much weight, even though she was still in the 7 lb range. So I started pumping and giving her bottles. We made it through the 2 days back at the hospital. I really do hate the hospital here. I have been way too much, and each time I've had to check in at the ER. With Mallory going the week before I had the baby, I was getting to know all the ER people!

After we came home we had lots of frustrating moments getting her back to nursing. I just don't have time to pump and I hate formula. She had to get her tongue clipped a second time too. Each time we took steps back in nursing. I think it hurt her for a few days after. She is still not back to her birth weight and she will be 3 weeks tomorrow. But she is nursing and gaining some weight (she will only nurse with a nipple shield though...really annoying).

Needless to say, it was a really hard 2 1/2 weeks. We are doing better now. It was hard doing it all on my own with no husband. But I am glad we were at my parents. They have helped so much with the kids. I am so grateful that nothing was seriously wrong with Hallie. Being in the ICU for 2 days gave me a huge understanding of gratitude and humility! There were babies really sick in there. The second night we were there an emergency baby came in with her lungs filled with blood and fluid. It was crazy how they work with these little bodies and can get them well. I felt so sorry for the mom whose baby was being transferred to a entirely different city. Tears came to my eyes as I stared at my new little baby, thanking Heavenly Father that we were really ok, with or without a husband there to help!

2 comments:

  1. So sorry all hasn't been smooth Melinda. Hoping from here on out it will get better and then once you have Michael home it will be great. Sending lots of happy thoughts and maybe some good sleep vibes for Hallie so her mama can sleep too! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melinda,
    I am so sorry that you and Hallie have been through so much. I am glad that you are out of the hospital. I hope that things get better from here.
    -Pam

    ReplyDelete